The city of Paris consists of 20 arrondissements, also called administrative districts. And, these arrondissements are organized in Paris in a spiral pattern. Paris 1st and 2nd arrondissement is considered to be the heart of Paris.
While it sounds interesting, for many people this administrative process can be quite overwhelming. However, you do not have to worry about missing out on any fun. Moreover, we ensure that when you go to Paris, you know exactly where to go in the 1st and 2nd Arrondissement.
geographic significance of 1st and 2nd Arrondissement
Let’s start with the Paris 1st Arrondissement which is the most prestigious arrondissement of Paris. It is not difficult to locate Paris 1st arrondissement as it is on the right bank of the River Seine. Further, within Paris 1st Arrondissement there are several districts.
That is why, this arrondissement is considered to be the heart of Paris as it provides endless strolling opportunities.
- Both 1st and 2nd Arrondissements are situated on the right side of the Seine.
On top of everything, Paris 1st arrondissement represents the heart of Paris. Because it was once a hub of all the historical artists and thinkers. One of the most famous places in this neighborhood is the Louvre museum, which is considered to be the world’s largest museum.
Initially, this arrondissement was conquered by the Romans and was the least populated district. Also, this is also the place where later on royal people used to reside.
Now let’s take a deep dive into the Paris 2nd arrondissement. Besides, it is a place where you should go if you want to explore the culture of Paris. Apart from that, this place is one of the most important financial centers in Europe as it is the house of the stock exchange.
Hotels in 1st and 2nd arrondissement
Let’s start by looking at what the heart of Paris, which is the Paris 1st Arrondissement, has to offer. So, the best top three places to stay in the 1st arrondissement are Grand Hotel Du Palais Royal, Hotel Louvre Saint-Honoré, and Relais Du Louvre.
Grand Hotel Du Palais Royal- 1st arrondissement of Paris
- Star: 5-star hotel
- Location: 4 Rue de Valois, 75001 Paris, France
- Unique Selling points: customer service, situated at the center of Paris, amazing facilities, and well-trained concierge
- Amenities: Spa and wellness center, Room service, Free Wi-fi, Soundproofing rooms, Currency exchange on-site
Hotel Louvre Saint-Honoré- 1st arrondissement of Paris
- Star: 4-star hotel
- Location: 141 Rue St Honoré, 75001 Paris, France
- Unique Selling points: surrounded by various shops and cafe
- Amenities: Bar/lounge, Free Wi-fi, Room service, Free toiletries , Daily housekeeping
Hotel Relais Du Louvre
- Star: 4-star hotel
- Location: 19 Rue des Prêtres Saint-Germain l’Auxerrois, 75001 Paris, France
- Unique Selling points: cozy room and convenient location
- Amenities: Free Wi-fi, Room service, Inner courtyard view, Free toiletries, Daily housekeeping
While the heart of Paris has various amazing places to offer where you can stay, Paris 2nd arrondissement is no less. Many hotels in Paris 2nd arrondissement ensure you have the most comfortable and memorable experience. However, the best hotels to stay in the 2nd arrondissement is Kimpton – St Honoré Paris
Kimpton – St Honoré Paris
- Star: 5-star hotel
- Location: 25-29 Boulevard des Capucines, 2nd arr., 75009 Paris, France
- Unique Selling points: convenient location
- Amenities: Free Wi-fi, Balcony view, Pet friendly
What to do & see in 1st and 2nd arrondissement?
Many places in Paris might interest you as a tourist. Especially if you are in the 1st arrondissement then you will never run out of interesting places to visit – which is why it is called the heart of Paris.
The Louvre Museum
It is considered to be the world’s greatest museum as it has a wide range of artifacts and artwork that allows you to have a glimpse of the last 11,000 years of human history. That is why, if you are interested in taking a deep dive into the history of not just Old Paris but of the entire world, Louvre Museum is a where to be.
- Location: Rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris, France
This is a former royal palace that was built for Cardinal Richelieu. In addition, this hosts the ministry of culture in Paris.
- Location: 204 rue Saint-Honoré, Place du Palais-Royal
This place is famous for being the most beautiful neoclassical squares. This is because the design of this place had a heavy focus on having perfect symmetry.
- Location: North of the Tuileries garden,
Best restaurants in 1st and 2nd arrondissement
There is a wide range of restaurants in Old Paris that will provide you with a gastronomical experience. However, the most famous restaurant in the Heart of Paris is Nodaiwa.
- Specialty: This restaurant is known for providing the best feel.
- Uniqueness: They have featured in Michelin Guide
- Location: 272 Rue St Honoré, 75001 Paris, France
Famous streets in 1st and 2nd arrondissement
In old Paris, there are many streets that you can explore. Honestly, you will get great exposure to true Parisian culture and history.
Rue St. Honoré
This street is located at the Heart of Paris – 1st arrondissement. This street has a wide array of museums and boutiques.
This street is situated in Paris’s 2nd arrondissement. If you are someone who enjoys food and happens to find yourself in Old Paris, then you should definitely visit this street. Besides, this street has a plethora of cafes.
I hope this article has allowed you to understand why 1st and 2nd arrondissement is considered to be the heart of Paris. Anyway, these two arrondissements have something for everyone and provide a great opportunity to take a view of old Paris.
Finally, I am excited to know what is the first thing you want to do in Old Paris.